London Underground

Post announcements about your completed content here !

Moderators: jpkeenan, Momentum, n5vav, Meridious, whitepass, Euphod

London Underground

Postby bird_d00 » September 08 2011

Greetings,

It's maybe about time to try to upload some of the items I have created over the last few years.

I have been playing with modelling the London Underground system, and have created a fair few items, as well as having converted several of the "LU clutter" items by Ian Jenkins from MSTS to Trainz (as on the UK TrainSim site).

For my first offering (assuming the upload works!) I present a series of Station Limit Markers (or Countdown Markers). These are positioned alongside the track to mark how many coaches are beyond the platform and thus can't be used to evacuate passengers. Both free standing (on a pole) and wall mounting versions are included in the pack.

Dave Bird
Last edited by bird_d00 on January 23 2016, edited 3 times in total.
bird_d00
TPR Forum Member
TPR Forum Member

Postby bird_d00 » September 09 2011

Well the markers are finally up (sort of). They are under signs rather than in the UK section, they are marked as certified for all versions which they aren't (only up to TRS2006), the list of KUIDs is incomplete and the depot admin complained I didn't upload a screenshot which I did. Maybe something overflowed in the rather long list of KUID numbers ?

Anyway the next item up is a set of cable gantries (or bridges). These are used to run the trackside cables over the running lines. 1 track, 2 track and 3 track versions are included. These are conversions of the MSTS items by Ian Jenkins as on UK TrainSim. Ian only provided the gmax source for the 2 track version so the other 2 were cut & shut from that, so they won't be quite the same as the MSTS ones, but as close as I can manage it.

Dave Bird
bird_d00
TPR Forum Member
TPR Forum Member

Postby whitepass » September 10 2011

I put them under signs so others could find/use them. Most scenery items will work in higher versions, they show no errors in TS10. As to the missing tumnale I only had one file uploaded and the kuid's may have been cut off I do not know I am filling in and do not have access to the programing.
whitepass
TPR Content Creation Team

LU Track Ends

Postby bird_d00 » September 30 2011

I have just uploaded some more London Underground Items. This time we have a pack of track ends - A buffer stop, a sand drag, and stop lights in singles or groups of 2 or 3.

Once again thes are conversions of MSTS items by Ian Jenkins.

Dave Bird
bird_d00
TPR Forum Member
TPR Forum Member

Postby bird_d00 » September 30 2011

And there's more...

A pair of whistle signs - one plain, and one has a light attached and includes nightmode. These are set up as trackmarks and need a rule such as Whistle Sign Rule <KUID:70049:20001> to make AI controlled trains whistle as they pass.

Also a pack of Speed Limit Posts. These are for the above-ground sections, not in the tubes. The "T" board marks the end of a temporary speed restriction. These are all illuminated and have nightmode.

Once again these are conversions of MSTS items by Ian Jenkins.

Dave Bird
bird_d00
TPR Forum Member
TPR Forum Member

Postby bird_d00 » October 01 2011

And for this morning's offering (well it's morning here) we have :

Firstly an art deco (1930s) platform canopy and a platform to accompany it. Both of these are fixed length items - I never really figured out how to make splines work. I may try a spline version later. These are conversions of MSTS items by Ian Jenkins.

Secondly a collection of signs. A pair of simple logos with and without legs, a ceiling hung way out sign and 3 street signs for different lines. The logo signs have nightmode and will light up at night. The street signs are renameable so you can change the name of the station. They don't have nightmode as I am unsure what would happen with the renameable text at night. These are conversions of MSTS items by Ian Jenkins (except the way out which just uses his textures).

Dave Bird
bird_d00
TPR Forum Member
TPR Forum Member

Postby bird_d00 » October 03 2011

The latest set of uploads are already up - for some reason I have been unable to access the forums for the last couple of days.

Anyway for your enjoyment we have a pack of London Underground section switch cabinets. A very common sight on the above ground sections of the underground. These contain switchgear to electrically isolate sections of the track, and are normally found in pairs - one for the positive rail, and one for the negative.

This pack contains a selection of cabinets, both the older wooden designs and the modern plastic variety. There are four by me, and three are conversions of MSTS versions by Ian Jenkins.

Dave Bird
bird_d00
TPR Forum Member
TPR Forum Member

Postby bird_d00 » October 06 2011

For your further enjoyment we have a pair of Art Deco Waiting Rooms.

One is for an island platform, and one for a side platform. Both include canopies, and in the case of the side platform version a side wall also. They both include a nightmode mesh.

These again are conversions of MSTS versions by Ian Jenkins, but given the work involved it would probably have been easier to start from scratch !

Dave Bird
bird_d00
TPR Forum Member
TPR Forum Member

Postby bird_d00 » October 18 2011

I actually managed to upload the wrong version of the waiting rooms. As the upload system seemed to be down I didn't think it would go up at all and have to be re-submitted. Unfortunately after about a weeks delay the bad version has just gone live on the Download Depot. I have just uploaded these again and hopefully they will overwrite the originals.

The version with only 2 versions of the waiting rooms has a number of problems - not least ridiculous specular reflections and wrong platform height. Having sorted a problem with my Gmax exporters, (specular not working) I re-exported these without thinking to adjust the specular settings.

The correct version of this CDP should have 3 waiting rooms - an island platform version, and a pair (mirror image) of side platfrom versions. Sorry for any confusion this caused.

Dave Bird
Last edited by bird_d00 on January 23 2016, edited 1 time in total.
bird_d00
TPR Forum Member
TPR Forum Member

Postby whitepass » October 19 2011

Will fix.
whitepass

Postby bird_d00 » October 26 2011

Thanks whitepass for sorting out my uploading foulup with the waiting rooms.

The latest items I have uploaded are a pair of Bridges. The pack also includes a matching embankment and fences (3 different types). The embankment doesn't always seem to match that well for some reason. The texture seems to blur when the spline is stretched.

Once again these are conversions of items by Ian Jenkins or based on his textures.

Dave Bird
bird_d00
TPR Forum Member
TPR Forum Member

Postby bird_d00 » October 27 2011

Today's upload is a set of platform fittings :

Four different types of lamp (all with nightmode).

A platform end mirror. These were for the driver to be able to see the doors of his train after guards were abolished.

Two display boards - with and without posters (based on a prototype at Hainault).

Three varieties of platform seat - 2 based on the EFE model, one of these is renameable, the other can be changed by editing the TGA file. The third is based on the prototype(s) at White City (renameable).

The lamps and mirror are conversions of MSTS versions by Ian Jenkins.

Dave Bird
Last edited by bird_d00 on January 23 2016, edited 2 times in total.
bird_d00
TPR Forum Member
TPR Forum Member

Re: London Underground

Postby Ben1988 » September 15 2014

Just come across this thread, and your content @bird_d00

Lovely stuff! Thank you for taking the time to create and convert the items. I notice on your website you had some rolling stock in development - is this still progressing? It seems like you got quite far with many different items! I'm exactly the same lol, get 90% the way there then something else pops up :lol: unfortunately 3D modeling isnt something I could even get 1% at I fear.

Anyway, keep up the good work and thanks once again :)
Ben1988
TPR Forum Member
TPR Forum Member

Postby bird_d00 » September 16 2014

Thanks for your interest. I did upload several items of rolling stock to the download depot - 2009 stock, C69 stock, C77 stock, Met E class etc. I haven't updated this thread in a long while I'm afraid.

As for progress, very little I'm afraid as real life has an awkward habbit of getting in the way. Content creation can soak up cast amounts of time. To be honest I got fed up with Trainz - in particular Auran/N3V constantly moving the goalposts, and the fanboys DEMANDING that I upgraded my PC so as to be able to run the latest version and "upgrade" all my content just to suit them.

Dave Bird
bird_d00
TPR Forum Member
TPR Forum Member

Postby Ben1988 » September 17 2014

Yes quite; I'm in the process of downloading it all! :)

Ahh, real life - the bain of many simulation gamers.

I'm sorry to hear though that other factors have played a part. From what I read on Aurans Forum, youre not alone in being peeved by the relative opaqueness of it all. It would appear that for the distance ahead Trainz is in its user layout, its just as far but behind when it comes to the internal workings. Perhaps with T:ANE there will be the opportunity for them to address and resolve this once and for all, but theres only so many people you can make to follow the entire journey of product and scripting development.

Forget the fanboys. Theres a lot of 14/15 year olds out there with no patience and no concept of politeness, so it would seem. I've ended up on '09 for a few years now, but thats because I got a very cheap deal on it, had a PC that was capable, and wanted some content that (supposedly) would only work with 09 and above. No doubt most of it, though, could possibly work under older versions without too much loss of functionality, and/or too much recoding.

Having said that.... I'm tempted to migrate to '12 in a few months time as content creator has managed to make something of a working signalbox/points/interlocking group of assets. One of my pet peeves with Trainz has been the inability to create a working signalled diamond crossing - something ubiquitous on railways. This guy has been able to finally do it, the catch being that it requires some of the newer commands and call ups that were only introduced in 12sp1 to work. (or something like that). The ability to interlock not just a diamond crossing but any track layout of ones creation, though, is so great I think it might just be worth a tenner or so once T:ANE pushes the price of '12 down.

If you ever do decide to get back into finishing your content, it'll definitely be something worth waiting for! If not though, thats very understandable. Thank you though, either way.
Ben1988
TPR Forum Member
TPR Forum Member

Next

Return to Freeware Content