Using the Gizmo to help with texture mapping

Post your tips and tricks here !

Moderators: jpkeenan, Momentum, n5vav, Meridious, whitepass

Using the Gizmo to help with texture mapping

Postby Pencil42 » November 20 2006

This tutorial (attempts to) explain the use of the Gizmo to help align textures to faces in GMAX.
We'll start with the roof to a freight depot:
First, break the image apart by flat faces. In this case, 4 parts - one for each side of the roof.
(You can toggle the highlighting of selected faces in the viewport configuration menu)
Next, pick one of your roof pieces, assign your texture to it, and add a UVWMap modifier. You can see the shingles are facing the wrong way and are the incorrect size.
First, lets adjust the size. Leaving the mapping set to planar, enter a value for the Length and Width that gives you the proper size. I picked 10', but that will depend on the texture you use.
Here's the result on the model:
Next, we're going to adjust the orientation of the texture using the gizmo. That's the yellow box shown below:
To access this, click the (+) next to the UVWMap modifier on your stack:
When you select the gizmo so that it turns blue (above) you can them move / rotate it as if it were a separate part; by using the move and rotate tools. Rotate the gizmo 90 degrees, so that the shingles are now going the proper direction. You can also rotate the gizmo so that it is laying flat against the roof; this will get rid of the 'squashed' effect.
And, thats all there is to it! In this case, my shingles ended up a bit small; changing the length and width to 15' makes it look a little better.
Last edited by Pencil42 on August 30 2010, edited 1 time in total.
Pencil42
TPR Content Creation Team

Postby jweaver » November 20 2006

Thanks for your contribution Pencil42. I'm going to be busy with company tomorrow but I'll difinitely give the method a workout on Wednesday.

Jim
jweaver
TPR Forum Member
TPR Forum Member

a real worker!...

Postby Backyard » November 21 2006

8) Thanks Pen'42!
Enjoy Your Hobby! Image
Backyard
TPR Forum Member
TPR Forum Member

Postby cyberstorm » November 21 2006

hi Pen'42

when you say "First, break the image apart by flat faces. In this case, 4 parts - one for each side of the roof"

do you mean break the one item that formed the roof into the four polygons that make up the sides, ie. four separate objects created by cloning/deleting or is there an easier way?

I am wanting to re-skin my postbus from one folded out texture, parts of which are applied onto the 4 sides and the roof, and this looks like a way of acheiving that.

if not, how do you use one texture file to paint the 6 sides of a box where all are different parts of the texture?

this is one thing that always stops me using a photo texture on my vehicles

any advice is most welcome.
Terry Stormont
Shuttle XPC Athlon +3500 2Gb DDR Radeon X800XL 256Mb
Offering a new slant on Trainz
cyberstorm
TPR Forum Member
TPR Forum Member

Postby Pencil42 » November 22 2006

Hey Cyberstorm,

The roof above was one editable mesh, created out of three planes. When using planar mapping, as in the example above, it works best (you get the least distortion) if you only apply the mapping to flat or mostly flat objects. So, in the example above, I selected the editable mesh, went into polygon selection mode, and selected the polygons that made up one side of the roof. I then detached them to a separate object. That separate object is what I textured and UVW mapped.

To use a single texture for a model is a little more tricky - it involves the use of the 'unwrap uwv' modifier. I'll write up something separate on that if I get a chance today.
Pencil42

Postby cyberstorm » November 22 2006

Thanks Pencil42

I remember once I managed to do what I was asking about but never managed to repeat it :(

mostly due to the fact I'm from the Fisher-Price school of programming

"Oh thats pretty, oh some buttons!, what happens if I push this.......etc etc" ;)

theres no hurry though, it just means in the long term I will get away from making things up out of either solid colour or tileable textures.

Thanks
Terry Stormont
Shuttle XPC Athlon +3500 2Gb DDR Radeon X800XL 256Mb
Offering a new slant on Trainz
cyberstorm
TPR Forum Member
TPR Forum Member

Postby martinvk » November 22 2006

For most of my texturing, I use face instead of planer in the UVWMapping properties. That way, I can select each face separately and adjust their texture independently of each other. If the orientation need to be adjusted too, then I add an UnwrapUVW to the stack.
70337 since 10 Aug 2002
martinvk
TPR Forum Member
TPR Forum Member

Postby slave-driver » January 06 2007

Thanks Pencil42. Have to give that a try.

Bill
slave-driver
TPR Forum Member
TPR Forum Member

Postby John Fitzpatrick » March 14 2007

Can this method be used to texture a cylinder with text on it. I saw under the parameters menu "cylindrical". Would love to see a demo on applying a texture map with lettering to one. I'm working on a steam era tank car and using the face method has been a nightmare.

Fitz
John Fitzpatrick
TPR Forum Member
TPR Forum Member

Postby Pencil42 » May 17 2007

Yep, it should work. I don't have any tank cars in progress, so let me see if I can find / make a suitable texture. You are correct in that you would want to start with a cylindrical mapping, however.
Pencil42

Return to Tips, Tricks & Fixes